Transport NI’s Design Build Finance and Operate (DBFO) Package 1 contract includes the maintenance of 60km of motorway and approach roads (comprising Northern Irelands M1, M2, M3, M5 and M22) and associated bridge structures. Equilibrant Ltd. were commissioned by the Operation and Maintenance Service Provider, Intertoll Europe, to carry out a series of bridge Special Inspections on the project road in 2017.
The scope of the Special Inspections, including Non-Destructive Testing, was to identify any significant concrete deterioration, specifically in areas of water penetration through deck joints above. The scope of the inspections included;
- Close visual inspection and delamination survey including photographic records;
- Local breakouts to inspect condition of reinforcement;
- Carbonation testing;
- CSE Half-Cell Potential Surveys;
- Linear Polarisation Resistance [Corrosion rate measurements];
- Dust Sampling for Chloride Analysis and Cement Analysis
Following the Special Inspections Equilibrant Ltd. produced comprehensive interpretive Special Inspection Reports, summarising the current condition of the bridge structures and making recommendations for the Life Cycle Management of the bridges.