Cuchulainn House is one of seven high rise tower blocks located in the New Lodge Area of North Belfast.
The Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) designated the tower block to receive a pilot scheme involving: extensive concrete repairs, a new pitched roof to replace the old flat roof, new double glazing windows and an external wall insulation system.
As appointed Structural Engineers for the scheme, Equilibrant Ltd was responsible for the following:
- 3D modelling of the 13 storey building for wind analysis in accordance with EN1991-1-4-2005 in order to specify the minimum pull-out strength for the cladding rails & roof structure fixing bolts;
- Half-cell potential surveys to identify corrosion hot spots, not currently propagating, for repair;
- Compiling an extensive concrete repair performance specification in accordance with EN1504 including cathodic protection;
- Supervision of concrete repairs including anode installation;
- Attendance at monthly progress meetings to provide updates on concrete repair progress, quality of works and providing assistance to the contract administrator as required.
The successful completion of the scheme has allowed the NIHE to roll the scheme out to the next phase. Equilibrant Ltd have been appointed Structural Engineers for the next phase, Ethine House.